Friday, October 17, 2008

The Rebirth of the Pete Yorn CD


It's amazing what you will find when you sift through the items that have accumulated in your car. I cleaned, or better yet, shuffled the items out of my car into the house. Not sure if Sarah appreciated this because we are trying to get the house in order and this just added to the clutter. After I took all the items into the house I found a plethora of items. These items included:




1. A random coat that is blue and yellow - if you are missing one let me know


2. 3 framed pictures - one of Sarah and I at a wedding (tried to sneak that one out, but Sarah caught me) and two turkey hunting pictures that now sit proudly at the front entrance of the house


3. Highlighters


4. An old lease document that never went through at work


5. My old CD's - that sounds so old to say CD's. I still rock these though so don't make fun.




As I browsed through my old collection of CD's, I was quite proud of my taste. I felt kind of hip, or trendy, perhaps, and even felt a little "Emo" as Alex would say. I found the Stones, Black Crowes, Frat Magee (that goes way back), Ryan Adams (Heartbreaker that is), and Pete Yorn's Music for the Morning After. So on my way to work today, I decide to ditch sports talk radio b/c the Cubs are out of the Pennant race and I've already heard all the analysis on this weekends college football games. I grab Pete Yorn and decide I am going to give it a go. And boy did I give it a go. When I hear the first song, a flood of memories hit me. The nostalgia was overwhelming. I crank my sweet Toyota stereo system up to 41 (that is loud for all you Toyota owners), and begin to pound out lyrics like I am at the actual concert. I was feeling so good that I rolled the windows down despite it being 48 degrees outside and just cruised. At one point I pulled up to a stop light and I was hitting a high note, or getting close to hitting the high note, and looked to my right and this lady just started laughing at me. I turned away in embarrassment, but then looked back right before the light changed and played the air guitar for her. Then I pulled up to the parking lot of my building, and all the despondent brokers from Merrill Lynch were walking in and it was like deer that were surprised by a gunshot. They all turned their heads, and looked at me in fear that I was so in the zone that I would miss my parking spot and hit them. Wow! It was an incredible morning with Pete riding shotgun. Has anyone else out there discovered old discs and just rocked out like you never parted ways with it? Or am I just that weird? Well hopefully I have inspired everyone search the depths of their CD collections and rekindles a relationship with an artist. I highly recommend this.






3 comments:

A said...

i can definitely relate to this post and your love of Pete Yorn. if there's one cd that reminds me of gray, though, it is Speakerboxxx/The Love Below . . . omg, i cant belive that came out 5 years ago . . .

Unknown said...

i prefer hanson....mmmbopp if i am going to go back in the day

Anonymous said...

How great is musicforthemorningafter?