Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fiser's Daily Thoughts - 4.13.11

FDTs for 4.13.11:

1. Virtual Dressing Rooms - Does this mean that brick and mortar clothing stores are a thing of the past? Especially with free shipping becoming the norm? Still think people like the shopping "experience" and touch and feel of the clothing. Next question is how to get a virtual shopping assistant involved. Here is a YouTube clip:


2.  Social Media Single Sign-On Technology - Calling on someone much more sophisticated than me to build or enlighten me if it already exists... Can we get one site that will consolidate all our social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.) with SSO tech? Something like HootSuite or TweetDeck does for Twitter.

3. 72 degrees, no clouds in sight, perfect day on the workplace rooftop!


 

5 comments:

Cantabrigian said...

That virtual dressing room seems like a nice idea... but wouldn't people feel stupid doing it? I certainly would, standing in my room, aligning myself to my webcam so I can see if a virtual piece of clothing "suits me". Anyway, most people try on clothes to see if the size and shape fits them which the whole augmented reality online shopping can't do. To be honest, I'll be surprised if it catches on.

Gray said...

Thanks for the comment!

I agree that people want to actually try on clothes before they buy them, which makes it difficult for this product to take off. Also, I think that people enjoy the experiential side of shopping. Hopping around stores, eating lunch/grabbing a drink, even taking destination shopping trips (NYC, Chicago, London). I would think this product would be a niche product for those that hate the shopping experience and prefer to try on clothes alone. I could see the following scenario playing out:
Use the product as an initial test to see if you like the style of clothing, order a couple of different sizes and put it on a credit card, and take advantage of free shipping both ways.

Cantabrigian said...

Yeah I guess your right. I personally sometimes buy clothes online just because its cheaper and easier however I don't think I'd bother with the virtual wardrobe because you sort of visualise the item of clothing on anyway. Also, I kind of already know which colours and styles suit me but then again that may not be the case for everyone.

Anonymous said...

Sprout Social lets you consolidate multiple SM accounts, although I'm not sure about LinkedIn. LI is kind of the rebellious child who refuses to play nice with others.

Anonymous said...

My bad. Sprout Social totally lets you manage your twitter, fb AND linked in accounts. www.sproutsocial.com